Apr 16, 2008

A drop in the ocean.


My heart's been feeling pretty heavy regarding the shortage in rice and spike in prices... sigh... here I am debating what to wear in the morning and what to eat for lunch and what to cook for dinner... there's plenty of villagers who go hungry at night in some faraway land. Sigh... really wish to feed the whole world.

Read this article... "The End of Poverty" by Rebekah Fraser from Relevant magazine where she proposes that one of the ways to do so is through microfinancing. I like it that she addresses both the physical and also the emotional... "But if you mean when you say eradicating poverty is meeting basic human needs - caloric consumption, potable water, shetler, access to education and basic human protections under the law, health care- if a person is missing one of these things you could consider them poor...The big thing is largely giving people the encouragement to try, If you break someone's spiritm they won't try, and nothing will happen."

I think I will sign up with Kiva this weekend: http://kiva.org/

No comments: