Mar 11, 2008

"Irrelevant" Message in Relevant ways

Here I am in the National Library sitting in the study lounge with my laptop, where it proposes to be, on my lap. I am capturing the gist of the book "The New PR Toolkit" which proposes strategies for successful media relations.

I recall a good lunch conversation I had last week, with a fellow media contemporary. He reminded me that Jesus was a counter-revolutionary... and much of His message was "irrelevant" or in my words "counter-culture". I suppose the gist of our conversation was that in crafting relevant methods, its good to remember that His message is what we need but may seem "irrelevant" eg servant leadership

I suppose that's the beauty and irony there - advertising/marketing often pushes products to us and/or makes us think we need those products... but Jesus tries to get to us because He knows that He is exactly who we need and His ways are not lacking. As communicators, our challenge is how to be His message - and perhaps not just relevant, but at times also radical. Jesus told stories that ordinary folks could relate to, but He also tried unconventional ways - turning tables, making breakfast, disappearing from the tomb... to get His message across. =)

No comments: