popped by the singapore biennale on Sat and had a good time. (yes yes... I love art exhibitions/ museums...)
been pondering for a few years about the role of art and artists... and also asking why I like to pop by these places.
Sure, some of the pieces leave me feeling totally bewildered and ??? ; whilst some just blew my mind away or captured my heart.
Artists seem to be a existential bunch - people who think beyond; often into the abstract and philosophical. Sure, some of the descriptions were so vague that it seemed funny... yet at the same time - that's part of it. The exploration (of time, space, movement, combinations, the transience, the environment). Many times they present wonder and beauty. At time, they provoke and question. Most of the times, they push the boundaries of what we think we know, or what we are comfortable with.
I think that's the part I love best about exhibitions. Pushing my boundaries of understandings. Of my perceptions. My worldview. Some of them are master storytellers - telling a story in many ways.
I often wonder what stories Christian artists will tell. I've seen some that are quite atypical... and yearn to see more thought provoking ones. Maybe artists are like John the Baptist - calling in the desert; or like Isaiah - painting a picture in the future; or like Jeremiah - speaking as things are (a mess).
No comments:
Post a Comment